Tuesday 2 April 2013

Autism Awareness Day for Ethan

Today (and the whole month of April) is Autism Awareness Day. There's a lot that can be said about autism but for me, it's all about my nephew, Ethan. Ethan is 8 years old and is the most loving, adorable kid. He's  been attending the Center for Spectrum Services in Kingston, NY since he was 3, where he's learning all the things that other kids take for granted. He loves Thomas the Tank, Pixar movies, carrying around books, and his favorite food is potato chips and french fries. He loves giving hugs and kisses and this was the thing that made me think that he didn't have autism. I was mistakenly under the impression that all kids with autism didn't like to be touched but there are many different types on the spectrum.  For more information and to help by making a donation, check out the website Light It Up Blue (and their Facebook page).




This is Illamasqua Fern (named after an employee that worked for Illamasqua when the polish was released) and it's the most amazing blue I own. I love love LOVE it! The puzzle piece pendant I purchased from Ethan's school when I visited in November. The Puzzle Piece symbol reflects the mystery and complexity of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Also, since every puzzle piece is different in some way, a puzzle piece accurately represents the diversity of the individuals affected. Please take a few minutes to watch this video that my mom made a few years ago. I can't get it to post here and it's not available on YouTube.


With all my heart.
(image source)



8 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post, Kim. Ethan is a very special kid and he looks to have a bright future. He is lucky to have you for an aunt and a loving family surrounding him. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this positive and uplifting story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this post - informative and positive! Beautiful polish swatches too!

    ReplyDelete